Thursday, December 21, 2006

Speed Dating Encounters

Talking about Speed Dating, it came to my mind a few encounters that still makes me giggles whenever I think of it.


Encounter #1 :

That's my first speed dating event. Somewhere near the middle of the session, as the guy opposite me sat down, to my surprise, he is my colleague! It was not a surprise to him though...it was a HORROR to him! In fact, his face had gone all white. He was so scared that I'll tell the whole company that he attended a speed dating event, so he was all ready to bribe me. Whoosh, that's the time for me to make full use of the opportunity. So we made a pact in order to keep my mouth shut, he offered to help me with some of my work in the office, plus a big sumptuous meal!

Lesson learnt : Always try your best to spot a shy colleague at a speed dating event, it will worth your while!


Encounter #2 :

Once I went for a speed date at seaside. Everyone was to be seated on mats spread out by the sea. As the event went on, the tide also went higher and higher. By the time the speed dating event was done, we already had to shift our positions to higher levels a few times! Apart from that, the breeze was so strong that most of the time, our faces were covered by our own hairs. To add on to this, the facilitator had to keep coming to our sides to light up the torches that were blown out by the breeze. Wah liao, so unromantic! Since then, I never try any speed dating event by the seaside anymore.

Lesson learnt : If you still wish to try out this kind of event, my recommendation is make sure your hair is either too short for any wind to make a mess of it; or slap on tons of hair gel to make it stay on where it should be. On top of that, remember to bring a battery operated torchlight!


Encounter #3 :

Sometimes new age stuffs are not suitable for all people. In one of the event, the facilitator tried to create a relaxing ambience by placing essential oils at the center of each tables. One of the guys in front of me definitely never heard of essential oils. He was curious as to why is there some kind of smell that seems to originate from a little bowl with small through holes where a faintly visible small candle was... he tried to move away the tiny little plate on top of the bowl (just like the way he open up a lid) in order to see what's inside the bowl, without realising there was some transparent liquid on the plate. Gosh, all the essential oil on the plate spilt onto the table. His face turned all red at that moment! Subsequently, all the rest of my partners asked me about the wet table the moment they came to my table.

Lesson learnt : To those facilitator who wanted to place any kind of objects that is not supposed to be touched by participants, please kindly place a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign on it. This will save the participants any unwanted embarrassment.


Encounter #4 :

There was this one guy which the moment sat down by my table, straightaway he said "I have no condominium. No 5 digit salary. No car!" Later I understood from him that he was so fed up with the same questions other gals before me was asking him. And he was sure pissed off with such "pragmatic" questions posed by our own homely Singaporean gals!

Lesson learnt : Guys, save your breath. You just need to write those down on a piece of paper and show it to the girl once you sit by each table.


Encounter #5 :

Some people sure have very short term memory. Once I attended a follow up date with a guy from a speed dating event, which I will call Alex. He gave me such a bad impression on the date that I let him know straightaway I would never want to see him again. Yet 1 month later, we met again at another speed dating event. He was chatting happily with me like he never met me before and at the end he requested for a follow up date. When the speed date bell rings (time's up), I let him know I was the one he had dated 1 month earlier. His face turned immediately, which I assumed he remembered at that instance the unpleasant memory!

Lesson learnt : Always note down the name of people you had a bad dating experience. So that you will remember them and avoid crossing path with them again in (at least a near) future.


Encounter #6 :

I met two guys whom straightaway talking about bringing me to see their parents on next date during speed dating events. Woah, this sure scared me off a lot faster than other type of dating experiences.

Lesson learnt : Guys, even if you really think of bringing a gal home to your parents after the first meeting, please don't tell her directly. This will definitely send the gals running straight at the opposite direction.


There's still a few more interesting things that I'll share with you again next time. Do tell me if you have interesting happenings too. Remember, speed dating event is never a boring affair!

Dating Doc (DD)

No comments: